Professional ExperienceBarry is a Partner of Crosland Southeast and is responsible for the design, development and construction for the company’s wide-ranging, growing portfolio of projects and oversees the design and construction project management team. He brings an impressive international background to the job. Before joining the Crosland Southeast team, he spent 13 years with American Asset Corp. in Charlotte, most recently as executive vice president, where he was responsible for the development of 3.7 million square feet of retail, office and industrial property. Mr. James also was involved in planning 1,000 acres of mixed use projects in North and South Carolina.
Previously, Barry also worked for Transwestern Investment Co., underwriting more than $250 million of acquisitions and $100 million in development projects. As an architect, he also was part of the RTKL Associates team, the award-winning architectural firm that worked on the schematic design, design development and construction documentation for mixed-use and retail projects across the United States as well as in China, Germany, Korea, Spain and Dubai in the United Arab Emirates.
Affiliations and Accreditations
- North Carolina Real Estate Brokerage License
- North Carolina General Contractors License
- Urban Land Institute
- International Council of Shopping Centers
- B.A., Art History, Beloit College
- M.A., Architecture and Architectural Design, University of Illinois at Chicago
- M.B.A., Finance, University of Wisconsin
- M.S., Real Estate Finance and Urban Economics, University of Wisconsin